We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Orange-Cranberry Bread | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Orange-Cranberry Bread


We had quite a few fresh cranberries leftover from Thanksgiving. I searched our cookbooks and the web for inspiration–trying my best to avoid the typical muffins, breads, and other sweets. I know, that sounds a little silly; but seriously, the holidays are so full of baked goodies, I wanted to make something different. Alas, my efforts to make craisins failed miserably, and the cranberry sauces and baked goods recipes abound.

So, I caved. I decided I would make cranberry-orange muffins. Well, as you can see, I didn't make muffins. Honestly, when it came to it, I was too lazy to dig out the muffin tin. The bread pan was just so much more accessible! I took it with us The Domestic Man's house on Saturday and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.

So, here you have it: my paleo-fide orange-cranberry bread. The texture is actually more like a pound cake than a bread. It's beautifully moist; and the flavor––slightly sweet orange and tangy cranberry highlighted by a golden, buttery goodness––was just right, if I may say so myself.


Ingredients
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup ghee, melted, plus some to grease the bread pan
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup fresh cranberries

Method
Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease the bread pan with ghee. (I melted a tablespoon or two and then just let it drip all around the inside of the pan.)


Whisk the liquid ingredients (eggs, ghee, orange juice, honey and vanilla) in a large mixing bowl.


Sift in the coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and orange zest.


Fold in the cranberries.


Pour into the greased bread pan and spread the mixture around a little to make sure it's not one giant blob in the middle of the pan.


Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bounces back to a light touch and a toothpick goes in and out of the center cleanly. Allow it to cool, slice, serve and savor.


0 comments:

Post a Comment