We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Spicy Scallops on Spinach | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Spicy Scallops on Spinach


Tonight we decided to start to work toward emptying all of the frozen foods out of our freezer; it's really out of control.  We picked up a large bag of frozen scallops at Costco last week, so tonight was a great night to experiment.  I looked around at new and old scallop recipes, but I really wanted to go in a different direction.  Here is how it went down.


  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 minced cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1.5 lb scallops (10-12 large)


I heated the garlic and red pepper flakes in the olive oil over medium-high heat in my cast iron skillet.  While I typically enjoy using the skillet, next time I'll stick with a more traditional pan (the clean up was not a good time).

Once cooked down a bit, I added in the scallops.  Two minutes per side, and then took off to rest.


The smell was pretty great.  I was worried the garlic and spice from the pepper flakes would be too overwhelming, but fortunately it was just right for me.  A lingering heat in the mouth that slowly settled with water and time.  If you're not a big fan of spice, I would recommend limiting it to 1/2 tsp.  I placed these over a bed of spinach, and dinner was served.  I'll happily do this again with the rest of the scallops...just in a non-stick pan.







TRXTraining.com - Save Over 20% on The FORCE KIT! While Supplies Last! Click Here!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scallops are AMAZING but I hate how expensive they are and how much they shrink because I need a lot to make me full! LOL

Post a Comment