We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Sweet Potato and Egg Hash | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sweet Potato and Egg Hash

Word to the wise: this is a great way to use leftover ingredients.

I've been making eggs every morning for the past week. They've been quite yummy--onion, red and green bell pepper, a little salt and pepper--but I wanted something different this morning.

Meanwhile, Brent wanted two plain eggs (scrambled, his favorite) and there were only three eggs left in our refrigerator. So I made Brent his eggs, and then looked around for something to add to my single egg that would give it substance.



What can I say? I'm a hearty breakfast on the weekends kind of girl. ;)

I grabbed a sweet potato, some leftover bell peppers and onion, the egg and some olive oil.

Don't worry, I didn't try to use that entire sweet potato. Here are the actual measurements of those ingredients I ended up using:

2/3 cup sweet potato diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
1/4 cup onion diced
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon olive oil

Step 1: Heat the olive oil over medium-high, then toss in sweet potato and onion. Sauté until the sweet potatoes are just a little soft (about 3-5 minutes, I think; I actually walked away to put on laundry and then tasted one little piece of sweet potato).


Step 2: Mix in the bell peppers. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. This will get them tender, but not too soft. I like my bell peppers with just the slightest crunch to them.


Doesn't that look beautiful?! :)


Step 3: Take half of the hash mix out of the pan, pour in the egg (previously beaten in a bowl), mix it around, and then toss the other half of the hash mix back into the pan.


Step 4: Keep mixing everything with a fork (or flipped spatula) until the egg are fully cooked.


Step 5: Enjoy!



This turned out to be quite delicious. Hearty, but not heavy, and the balance of ingredients was perfect. Of course, there was too much for me to eat on my own. So after eating about half, Brent ate the rest for me. He was pleasantly surprised by it. :)


P.S. If you want, throw in some spices! Next time, I will. I bet a little salt, paprika and cinnamon would be pretty awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment