We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Paleo-friendly Carrot Pulp Bread - Attempt 2 | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Paleo-friendly Carrot Pulp Bread - Attempt 2

In case you haven't read Attempt 1, the long story short is that it came out overly moist (yes, it's possible, just go read that post); perhaps the better description is oily. Either way, I adjusted a few things and tried again this past weekend...

Unfortunately, this time, the bread came out too dry and crumbly. I probably should have only adjusted one or two things, not five at once. Ah well, lesson learned. Here is what I did this time. One of these days, I will get this right...

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil, plus a little extra with which grease the pan
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 cups carrot pulp
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon corse Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Whisk the oil, eggs, and maple syrup together in a large bowl.
  3. Then mix in the carrot pulp into the other wet ingredients.
  4. Mix in a separate medium bowl the flaxseed meal, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
  5. Mix the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients.
  6. Grease the bread pan with extra virgin olive oil (I used a pastry brush to do this).
  7. Place the bread batter into the pan and place into the oven.
  8. Bake for 40 minutes.
It is edible, but I can't say it's enjoyable. The bottom half of the loaf seems almost the right texture, but the top half is all crumbs; and the whole thing falls apart at the slightest touch. 

Maybe third time will be the charm? I can only hope.... :)

P.S. Sorry there are not pictures with this post. I had taken a few, but my iPhone needed to be reset recently and I ended up loosing the few pics I took for this recipe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment