We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Homemade Ghee | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Homemade Ghee

From what Brent and I have read, clarified butter and ghee are more or less the same thing; and what we've noticed is that ghee can be expensive and somewhat hard to find, depending on where you live. So, what did we decide to do? Make our own. :)


While Brent was at work on Saturday, I tried my hand at making ghee. It was really easy! Here are the two sources I used today to guide my ghee making adventure:





I clarified 4 sticks of unsalted butter (2 cups) and ended up with 13 ounces (1.625 or approx. 1 and 1/3 cups) of ghee. So far, I've used it in a number of dishes and I think its tastes and behaves just like the ghee we bought at the store. :)

This is the ghee we normally purchase at the store.
The butter cooking down.

After I spooned off most of the foam.

The straining is complete!

I was able to reuse the jar from the store-bought ghee and it was just the right size (13 oz). 

The final product, cooled and sealed and ready for use! :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment