We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

The best part about working from home... Part 1 | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The best part about working from home... Part 1


I love working from home, which I do on average once a week, for a number of reasons. It saves me on commuting costs, I get to sleep in, I can work in my pjs if I want to, etc. One of my favorite perks is the ability to make whatever I want for breakfast. I'm in no rush to catch the metro the mornings I work from home, and that gives me the time to make something more creative than scrambled eggs and bacon (not that I don't love those... I do! but variety is necessary sometimes).

Last week, I worked from home once and this week, twice. This post is the first of a 3-post series in which I'll share three yummy breakfast creations that came out of my few extra minutes on those mornings. :)

Poached Egg and Smoked Salmon over Roasted Asparagus and Red Bell Pepper

Ingredients
  • 4-5 asparagus stalks
  • 1 large, roasted red bell pepper from a jar or can (or a large, fresh red bell pepper)
  • 1 egg
  • 1- 2 thin slices of smoked salmon
  • a drizzle olive oil or ghee for roasting the veggies (I used ghee for my asparagus)
  • a small splash of coconut vinegar for poaching the eggs (optional)
  • a sprinkle of salt*, pepper and chopped fresh dill to taste
Method
  1. Peheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. If you don't have roasted red bell peppers in a jar or can, roast the red pepper for about 45 min (or until the skin is just about to blister; if you like it black, leave them in longer).
  3. About 10 minutes before the red bell peppers are ready, add the asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil or ghee on top to the oven for roasting.
  4. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a light, rolling boil.
  5. Add a small splash of coconut vinegar if you like.
  6. Crack the egg into a small bowl and carefully drop it into the boiling water. If you want, you can take a small spoon and gently push the egg whites towards the egg yolk to keep it all together. I haven't found this method to be particularly effective, but some people do.
  7. Wait 3 minutes for the egg to cook (I actually prefer to wait about 5 minutes because that will make the yolk just a little less runny).
  8. Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the egg from the boiling water, and set aside on a small plate or clean bowl.
  9. Once everyone has been cooked, pile up your plate (or bowl): first, the asparagus; second, the red bell pepper (I got fancy and tried to wrap my asparagus with the red bell pepper, but you don't have to do that); third, the poached egg; fourth, the slices of smoked salmon; last, but not least, spinkle on your desired amount of salt*, pepper and freshly chopped dill!
*Note: Smoked salmon is naturally very salty, so if you use any at all, I caution you to use very little!

This recipe is Paleo-friendly, Whole30-friendly if you use a fresh red bell pepper or if you make sure your jar/can of roasted red bell peppers doesn't have any additives, and 21DSD-friendly. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment