We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Greek Cucumber Salad | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Greek Cucumber Salad

This is easily one of my favorite all-time recipes, but I haven't made it in a while because we have been so busy trying new things and occasionally relishing on having "sex with your pants on" (Sorry Dallas and Melissa) that I forgot about this gem.

This is really inspired by a cucumber salad my mom makes, and I have to give kudos to her for inspiring me to always take her ideas and try to spin it to make it my own, or more recently spin it to make it Paleo.  
The original recipe also calls for feta cheese, and if you jive well with feta or feel like splurging, it definitely is a delicious addition.  My only suggestion would be to keep it separate until serving and crumble on top of the salad.  On that note, you could keep some freshly chopped up dill for that purpose as well.  I lied.  There are two suggestions.  I typically put thinly sliced red onion into this salad as well, but alas, we had used up all that was in the house.  If you have red onion, or are better prepared than I am and actually buy the necessary ingredients--1/2 to 2/3 of a medium red onion will do.

Ingredients:

1 cucumber
2 handfuls of kalamata olives
3-4 fresh sprigs of dill
2 tsp olive oil
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

After rinsing and zesting the cucumber, I used my trusty mandolin to thinly slice the cucumber.  I would also slice the red onion at this point if I had bought it.  I then added this to a mixing bowl.


I then sliced up the kalamata olives--I like to do rings, but if you'd rather mince or chop them up rough, do it!

Finely chop up the dill, and then add that along with the olives to the bowl.  Finally, drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.  


Mix away, and you're set.  Typically I let this rest for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator before serving so flavors can settle and meld, but it is also refreshing in a quick throw together.  Don't forget to buy more kalamata olives than necessary so you can snack!  Please let us know you you liked the recipe either through the comments, twitter, or our Facebook page.



0 comments:

Post a Comment