Brent aptly pointed out that it is very reminiscent of split-pea soup. But we agree, it's so much better than that! It's thick and rich... First, you taste that bold broccoli. Then, a hint of asparagus, quickly followed by a smokey, salty, bacon-y goodness. Last, but not least, a warmth from the red pepper flakes rounds out the flavors on your palate.
Warning: this recipe makes A LOT of soup. How much is A LOT? Four quarts. Or 16 cups. Or 3.78541 liters. Yea... it's A LOT. We froze one quart immediately. I'm excited to have it on hand once the weather chills out a bit.
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced, plus 1 slice for garnish
- 1 and 1/2 lbs asparagus, cut into approx. 1 inch pieces
- 1 and 1/2 lbs broccoli florets
- 4 cups of sugar-free chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed or diced
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (to taste)
1. Cook the bacon in the bottom of a large pot. Sauté until nearly crispy (about 2 minutes).
2. Add the onion and garlic.
3. Sauté until soft (about 2-4 minutes).
4. Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes; stir it up.
5. Add the asparagus and broccoli.
6. Pour in the chicken broth and water.
7. Boil until broccoli and asparagus are soft (about 15-20 minutes).
8. Allow the soupy mix to cool for at least 10 minutes.
10. Dice up the remaining slice of bacon and pan fry it until crispy.
11. Pour the soup into bowls, sprinkle with a few pieces of crispy bacon for garnish, and serve!
You could also serve this soup cold. Just allow it to cool a little longer before packaging it up and popping it in the fridge. In fact, in this weather, you may prefer to do that. ;) I on the other hand, work in a freezer-like office building, so hot soup for lunch is absolutely lovely and on some days a necessity.
As I already mentioned, this recipe makes a lot so I strongly recommend you do as we did and freeze some of it for later (unless you plan on serving it to a large group of family and friends at your next dinner party, of course). :)