We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Cool Spinach-Mango Salad | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cool Spinach-Mango Salad


Flash back to 4 p.m. yesterday. I run into the grocery store. Ok, Ok, I didn't literally run. I walked, briskly, in my super cute, electric blue heels. ~click click click click click click~ People probably thought I was a little nutty. Why was I in such a rush? Well, Mom's on the east coast for a few weeks (long story, and not worth telling) and I needed to get her to the church near my sister's house by 4:30 for 5 o'clock mass so I could then pick up Brent from work by 5.

I was late... as usual...

So, my head is racing. What on earth can I serve tonight with those scrumptious smelling Indian Spiced Ribs we slow cooked? I wanted something seasonal and light, like a salad. Spinach? Kale? Romain? What would make any of those work with Indian-spiced anything?!?

And then I saw the mangos. OMG I love mangos. If they weren't so expensive 90% of the time, I'd buy them ALL THE TIME. (Have I mentioned that I make a wicked pineapple-mango salsa? I should really make that and post it sometime soon. Sorry, I'm such a tease!) Mangos would be a great foil for the ribs. Those bad little babies were so aromatically rich, earthy and spicy--mangos would really lighten things up!

OK, MANGOS. :)

I grab two moderately soft ones. I'm scanning the walls for leafy greens. Why must this particular store have such a poor selection?! Spinach? That would work with mangos... Oh! and, and, red onion. I have that! Perfect. Ok... Spinach... where is it?!

Finally, I find a spinach-spring mix blend. That'll do. I use the self check-out and scurry back to the car, in which my mom is patiently waiting. As I drive her to the church--which, by the way, is 30+ miles away, on the other side of the District and traffic is not easy... it's never easy in the District, except at, like, 3 a.m. (please don't ask why I know that)--I realize I can dress the salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. That'll be simple and delicious.

Fast forward to 6 p.m. yesterday. Finally, Brent and I are home, and I set to work on the salad for dinner. In the end, I was really happy with it. Try to imagine it: first, there's the subtle earthy-grassiness of the spinach and spring mix; then, the sweet, juicy mango; and finally, a refreshing crunch of oh-so-slightly-bitter red onion. And that's just if you go without the dressing! Toss in the tangy balsamic-olive oil vinaigrette and BAM! Salad perfection.

Alright, alright, stop drooling. Here's the recipe ;)

Cool Spinach-Mango Salad


Salad Ingredients
  • approx. 1/3 of one container of Nature's Promise Organic Baby Spinach and Spring Mix
  • 1 large mango, sliced or chopped (mangos can be difficult to cut in a pretty way, so do it however works for you)
  • approx. 1/3 of a large red onion, sliced (and the slices halved)
Dressing Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • a sprinkle of salt and pepper (to taste)
Method
  1. Toss all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. 
  2. Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
  3. Serve separately, or toss the dressing with the salad and serve.
It's so easy, right?! :) I love salads for that reason.


I'm pretty sure this one would be great with a piece of grilled chicken (next to or sliced on top) or served as a side a summer BBQ. As I already mentioned, we had it along with a meat-falling-off-the-bone, mouth-watering rack of Indian Spiced Ribs.


Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment