We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Bulgogi Inspired Skirt Steak | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bulgogi Inspired Skirt Steak


Bulgogi is one of my favorite Korean dishes.  Once upon a time when I tutored English to international students at a large, public college, my Korean student insisted that I must try it.  He was right.  It took me months to try it (at a street fair, nonetheless) but I'm so glad I did.  This recipe doesn't look absolutely fabulous, but trust me, the taste is there.  A wok would probably help the cooking process and the overall look, but alas, no wok yet.


Ingredients

1 and 1/2 tbsp coconut vinegar
1 tbsp onion powder (we ground dried, chopped onion)
4 tbsp grated apple
1 tbsp pressed garlic
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 pinches of ground black pepper
1 egg white
skirt steak


Method

Prepare the marinade of coconut vinegar, coconut aminos, onion powder, grated apple (we used our microplane), pressed garlic, ground ginger, black pepper and egg white.  I once read about the benefits of using egg white and baking soda to tenderize meat, but I just skip the baking soda.  Bonus points if you have a soda bottle in the house and separate your egg like this.

While that's going on you'll want to also slice your skirt steak into approximately 1/2" strips.  When you've completed both of these tasks, marinate the beef for approximately 30 minutes.


Once you've finished marinading the beef, preheat a skillet (or preferably wok if you have it) to medium-high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil/coconut oil/ghee.  Cook beef until heated through and then it is ready to serve.  


Enjoy over a bed of greens, or in a lettuce wrap. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment