Here's a quick and easy dish to put together as a light meal or side that's sure to last for at least a few days between two people. The one thing that makes it possible is a reliable mandolin. I got mine at a local home retailer for less than $30 and it keeps finding ways to be useful.
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 red pepper (or other pepper, your preference)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Run cabbage, red onion, and your pepper of choice through the mandolin. I have it set to the straight blade at 1/8th inch, but other blade options will vary things up--experiment and let me know how it goes.
- Toss above ingredients in a large bowl and grate carrot into the mixture.
- Add olive oil and rice vinegar, and toss.
- Let sit at least 4 hours, and serve. It does get better as it ages.