We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Naturally Fermented Spicy Dill Pickles | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Naturally Fermented Spicy Dill Pickles


Taking a point from Mark over at Mark's Daily Apple, I decided to try my hand at making my own naturally fermented pickles.  I tried the recipe he mentioned but then also tried to take my own spin on it.  Here's my recipe:


  • 1 1/2 cups filtered water
  • 2 tbsp kosher salt
  • 2 crushed cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp peppercorns
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 halved jalapeño stuffed olives (Santa Barbara Olive Company)
  • 5 small cucumbers (ends cut)
  • 5 sprigs of dill
I added in the garlic, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, jalapeño stuffed olives, and dill into the jar.  Then I added in the pickles and salt water.  Definitely put at least halved pieces of the cucumber above the whole cucumbers you put in, as it keeps them all submerged in the brine.

After 5 days, the brine got quite cloudy, so I decided to finally give them a shot.  The standard recipe actually seemed to spoil or something--they were violently salty and not so exciting.  My spin was nice and spicy without being too extreme.  Also, it still had a great crunch.  They'll only keep for a week at most, so I look forward to eating them pretty constantly for the next few days.  




0 comments:

Post a Comment