We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Pot Roast | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pot Roast


We were able to pick up some pot roast on sale last week, and as the week flew by, the window for using or freezing the roast was closing in.  Instead of freezing it, I decided to put together an easy overnight pot roast.



  • 2-3 lb pot roast
  • 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1 small onion, quartered
  • 4 tbsp chicken gelatin/fat (leftover from baked thighs)
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary
I started with sprinkling the garlic salt and paprika on both sides of the pot roast.  Then I added the chopped onion, carrot, and rosemary into the bottom of the crock pot.  Then I added the chicken fat/gelatin from the thighs I cooked earlier in the week.  This is a great way to make some chicken stock without having to buy anything else--my first attempt and a successful one!

I then added in the pot roast, and filled up the crock pot with water until the meat was submerged.  Then set the dial to low, and let it cook overnight for about 9 hours.



At that point, the pot roast easily shredded, and then went right back into the stock.  You could easily use the meat shredded with flavors of your choice, or use it as a stew.  Admittedly the stock is a little bland, but as we're adjusting to the new diet, I think it fit the bill pretty well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment