We've moved to a new home, moving you to the new blog...

Spicy Sausage and Bell Pepper Egg Muffins | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

Friday, February 17, 2012

Spicy Sausage and Bell Pepper Egg Muffins

What can you do with a bunch of leftover homemade spicy sausage? Well, lots of things actually... and we're still experimenting (more to come soon!). But the first thing that came to my mind was egg muffins...



I usually make 12-18 egg muffins at a time. Here are the ingredients for this batch:

10 - 12 large eggs
1/2 - 1 bell pepper, diced (I used red this time, but feel free to use green or yellow or any combination thereof that you like)
1/2 small yellow onion, diced (or two to three shallots--they'll give out slightly different flavors, so choose whichever you like best)
1/2 - 1 cup of homemade spicy sausage
a pinch of salt
a dash of pepper
2 - 3 Tablespoons of olive oil (or enough to coat the muffin tin)
Oven pre-heated to 350 F

First, I fully cooked the sausage in a pan on the stove. Then, I mixed the cooked sausage and all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Next, I brushed each cup of the muffin tin (sides and bottom) with olive oil. Then, I used a ladle to fill the muffin tin with the egg mixture (I like to fill each cup in the tin 1/2- to 3/4-full). I baked them for approximately 20 minutes.


Ta-da!


Disclaimer: The egg muffins may shrink down a little bit once you remove them from the heat of the over. Don't worry; this is normal. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment